46-“Pangur Ban”: workflow and development example

[2022-06-14] Whoops, thanks for your patience. I finally got the audio samples of the basis of this track uploaded so now I can continue to edit this page…

I’ve been wanting to put up a page like this for some time. After a bunch of years my workflow seems natural and inevitable to me. Then I talk to my computer music friends and find out that a persons’ method is indeed as unique as a fingerprint. So I’m going to outline mine as least as it currently existed in 2011 with no apologies just in case someone finds something useful in it for their own process.

It probably would have made more sense under the “How?” category but my structure has run out of numbers to do that. That’s embarrassing. So this page will most likely eventually move somewhere else.

Anyway, “Pangur Ban” is a piece I started in March of 2011 (when I had more spare time than money). It all started with a single short (0:22) sample from the OLPC collection named “Bali Synth Melody”.

The sample had to me a sort of jangly gamelan feel to it, but on listening to it I thought: “there’s a melody in there; what would it sound like if I slowed it way down?”

Of course Ableton Live makes it pretty easy to change speed and/or pitch of loops, and the later versions have better and better speed changing algorithms. I liked the way it sounded at 48 bpm; a pretty cool melody appeared; very reminiscent in my mind to something you’d hear out of the Buddha Machine. So here’s what it sounds like at 48 bpm:

So extracting the main melody out of that I got approximately this (I think I need to revise since the figure does change somewhat):

"Bali Synth Melody" Notated

“Bali Synth Melody” Notated

With this, it’s easy to just assign the MIDI to a different instrument*:

*Actually not so simple; it’s a layer of two Zebra synths and two Operator synths, all of them using different but related patches.

So with this as a basis I came up with a floaty arrangement which you can hear here:

Last updated 2022-06-14